Thursday, September 10, 2009

Just One of Those Days

Wednesday was just a "one of those days" kind of day. It started the night before when Nate and I headed to bed at a ridiculously late hour. So needless to say I started the morning out already in the hole. I was short and impatient with the kids, which does not make them anymore obedient(can I get an amen!). So they continued to be testy in response to my lovely attitude. Then when getting dressed, Layla pointed out her rash covered arms. After some time viewing Web MD slide shows of children's rashes and comparing them to her arms, I concluded she might have chicken pox. Oh great!

Talking with Nate on his lunch hour, I fought back tears. I was frustrated and overwhelmed. I hadn't had school time with the kids. I had pots of peeled tomatoes waiting to be made into chili and spaghetti sauce, and peaches lining the counters collecting an obnoxious amount of fruit flies. I was tired of trying to keep Layla away from Julius and Gunnar until we could figure out her mystery rash. The house was a mess and we had a 4:00 appointment with a realtor followed by an evening Bible study at church.

We cancelled the 4:00 appointment. I called a few ladies from church to let them know about Layla and that I wouldn't be attending. With many pleas to the Lord for help and patience I hobbled my way through school time, dinner, story time and bedtime. Just before heading to bed I decided to fold the clothes in the dryer. I opened the dryer door to discover ink all over. Oh boy, what a bedtime surprise.

As I took my shower that night I remembered my neighbor who just lost his wife and immediately my day took a new perspective. Compared to his recent days, my day was wonderful. I got to be home with my kids, teach them, preserve healthy and affordable food for my family, and learn a few things about rashes, hives, bug bites, etc. on Web MD. So what if Layla did end up with the chicken pox and so what if she spread it to the other kids. My children are alive and healthy, rashes and all.

It turns out Layla does not have chicken pox. Her mysterious rash disappeared by today. The tomatoes and peaches are all preserved and in the freezer. We successfully completed our first week of homeschooling, Nate cleaned the ink out of the dryer with nail polish remover, and hairspray is taking out some of the ink from our clothes. All that fussing, pouting, worrying and whining was all for nothing.

A few verses that I will be concentrating on next time I have "one of those days":

"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ"
2 Corinthians 10:5

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40: 29-31

"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is thy faithfulness."
Lamentations 3:22, 23

No comments:

Post a Comment