Thursday, November 4, 2010

Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut




With some of my birthday money, I purchased two 2-gallon stoneware crocks, perfect for fermenting.  Our first project in the crocks is sauerkraut.  Nate graciously took the bull by the horns on this one and shredded all the cabbage in the food processor and packed it in the crock with plenty of salt.  All  I really had to do was clean up and take pictures!  It should be ready any day now.  I am excited about this, not only because we are learning to do this ourselves, but I have been paying over $5 a jar for naturally fermented sauerkraut.  A whole head of cabbage is less than half of that, and I dare say we will get several jars from that.  Don't know the benefits of naturally fermented, probiotic foods?  Here are a few links to check out.

The Healing Power of Probiotics Impresses Researchers
Fermented Foods: Top 8 Reasons to Eat Them
Proactive Probiotic Foods
Baby Step: Eating Cultured and Fermented Foods

Enjoy the reading.  I will let you know how the kraut turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment